January 29, 2008

ATV Tire Replacement Tips!

Do you know which aftermarket ATV tire best suits your needs? Choosing the right tire for your Four-Wheeler doesn’t have to be difficult. However with all the different brands, ply ratings and tire types available, shopping for new tires for your ATV can be a little confusing.
My first shopping experience for tires came after wearing out the stock OEM tires that came with my Honda 300 4X4. With nothing to compare them with, I felt they handled and wore pretty well. In reality the OEM tires will do just fine for the majority of ATV owners needs, under most circumstances.
My particular riding conditions varied from steep, rocky, to sandy, mud and snow… On many rides I encountered all these conditions. With the stock tires, I often had flats, got stuck and was unable to climb many steep hills. So I opted to buy the toughest tires with the best all-around traction available.

Things To Consideration When Upgrading Tires

Looking back, I really didn’t really understand all the effects of changing tires. I felt that I just needed a tough tire with good traction, so I thought! Fortunately, the ITP Big Foot package worked out, but not without some surprises along the way. Here’s how the transition went...
The Unpleasant Surprises!
1… The new tires were 6 ply, very stiff and gave a much harsher ride and made steering more difficult at slow speeds.
2… The tires were larger and heavier which changed the gear ratio, making me downshift more and lose horsepower.
3… These wider tires, with more aggressive tread, threw much more dirt, mud, and snow on the bike and me than the stock tires did.
4… The harsh ride and strain on the rear axle made it necessary to replace and upgrade that axle.

The Pleasant Surprises!
1… Better traction than expected. These ATV tires seemed to be able to go most anywhere, except in deep, soft sand.
2… A one inch gain in clearance with these taller tires really made a difference in clearing obstacles without affecting riding balance.
3… No more tread punctures or sidewall tears, even from the sharpest rocks. I got a small rock caught between the bead and rim, lost all the air and was still able to ride 10 miles back home without tire damage.
4… Longer wear from these tougher tires. They will probably lose bead tension and leak before the tread wears out.
Lessons learned… Don’t just go out and buy ATV tires without thoroughly assessing your needs. Ask yourself, do I really need new or better tires? If so, do your homework and consider the following…